Region and activities at the Côte d'Opale
REGION & ACTIVITIES
The Côte d’Opale, with its world-famous Cap Gris Nez and Cap Blanc Nez cliffs, is the ideal destination for everyone who loves the sea air and wide, open spaces. Dunes, fishing villages, vast sand or pebble beaches, World War II remains, listed expanses and fine gourmet eateries where local produce from the sea and the land take pride of place: the Côte d’Opale offers a succession of delights for young and old alike (www.opalenews.com).
Wimereux lies just a few kilometres from Boulogne-sur-Mer, France’s biggest fishing port, where a daily market on the quayside offers the very best of the sea at unbeatable prices: fish, shellfish and seafood. Boulogne-sur-Mer is also known for its old town, surrounded by ramparts, dating back to Roman times (http://www.tourisme-boulognesurmer.com/visiter.php?id_contenu=2&contenu=26).
The Nausicaa sea centre (http://www.nausicaa.fr) in Boulogne-sur-Mer is the largest complex in Europe devoted to the world of the sea. A single site for young and old invites visitors to understand and protect the ocean.
Sand yachting school, surfing, dingy sailing... there is no lack of activities for water sport enthusiasts in Wimereux itself, Boulogne-sur-Mer or Wissant.
For golfers, Wimereux has a superb course in listed surroundings (http://www.golf-wimereux.com).
The region also boasts a host of possibilities for outings:
- Listed villas of Wimereux circuit - souvenir of the ‘Belle Époque’
- Saint-Jean Bay gardens in Wimereux, on the site of the former Napoleonic harbour
- Second World War circuit
- Caps et Marais d'Opale regional nature reserve (www.parc-opale.fr)
- Cap Blanc-Nez and Cap Gris-Nez in "La Terre Des 2 Caps" (http://www.terredes2caps.fr)
- Desvres for its famous earthenware tiles (http://www.desvresmuseum.org)
- Fishing villages of Wissant, Audresselles and Ambleteuse, with its superb Fort Mahon, built by the military architect Vauban
- Le Touquet Paris-Plage, Hardelot, etc.
- The Eperlecques bunker: (http://www.leblockhaus.com)
- The Audomarois marshes: (http://www.tourisme-saintomer.com/vis-mar.htm)
- The town of Saint-Omer: (http://www.ville-saint-omer.fr/histoire_patrimoine/cathedrale.php)
- La Coupole:(http://www.lacoupole-france.com)
- Arc International: (http://www.tourisme-saintomer.com/vis-sav-ai.htm)
- Fontinettes boat lift: (http://www.tourisme-saintomer.com/vis-phm-as.htm)
- Lumbres tourist train:(http://www.tourisme-saintomer.com/vis-spo-ch.htm).
- Mimoyecques fortress, V3 base in Landrethun-le-Nord: (http://www.mimoyecques.com)
Saint Joseph village in Guines: (http://www.st-joseph-village.com)
- Guines clock tower: (http://www.tour-horloge-guines.com)
- The adventure trail among the trees in Guines (http://www.passiondaventure.com)
- Museum of Fine Arts and Lace in Calais
- Calais lighthouse and the six Burghers of Calais: (http://www.pharedecalais.com).